From 1 April 2021, this website will not be updated.
The seven north east London clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) – City and Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge – will become a single organisation called North East London CCG from 1 April 2021. We are in the process of transferring our information to a new site. For more information, contact


If you urgently need a dentist when your dentist is closed there is a urgent dental advice and support line.

An NHS dentist can help protect and maintain your oral health.

Your NHS dentist should: 

  • carry out a thorough examination of your mouth, teeth and gums
  • explain your treatment options and tell you what treatment can be done under the NHS, and what other work can be done privately if you wish. 
  • make sure you know how much your NHS treatment and any private treatment will cost
  • provide you with a written treatment plan before carrying out any band two or three dental treatment, to confirm the details and costs of the NHS treatment and any private work
  • display a poster about NHS charges
  • discuss with you how often you need to attend for a dental check-up. 
  • provide a leaflet that includes information about the dental practice and its services

Visit NHS Choices for more information.

Follow this link to find your nearest dentist

Emergency dental service

If you urgently need a dentist when your dentist is closed there is a urgent dental advice and support line.  The number for this is: 020 3594 0938.

It operates from:

  • 6.00pm to 9.00pm Monday to Friday
  • 9.00am to 2.00pm Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays

Walk-in out of hours urgent dental services are not available.  Patients need to call  to make an appointment. If you don't turn up on time for your appointment you may need to make another appointment, which may not be until the next day. You will be charged standard NHS dental fees, subject to certain exemptions, for all work undertaken at evenings, weekends and bank holidays. Proof of exemption needs to be provided.

At all other times, please call NHS 111.

Page last updated 23 January 2018